Thursday 14 May 2015

Day Five - Booze Boobs

Day five, and I really thought I would be leaping out of bed, ready to face a shiny day. Instead, I felt a heavy weight pinning me down to the mattress. I eventually swung my legs over the side of the bed, and heaved my back into an upright position, and I caught sight of my naked body in a mirror (note to self - move the damn thing!).
And in a second, the phrase "Booze boobs' came to mind...... Originally used in her memoir "Cleaning Up: How I Gave Up Drinking and Lived", Tania Glyde describes her "booze boobs" - full and bloated and fatty, not perky and firm.....
Well, even given that I am middle aged, and gravity is a factor - I have two Medals of Booze Honour - Booze Boobs and Wine Belly. Never mind about my arse and thighs.

So WHY I have QUIT, reason number 2 - Weight Gain.

I recently read that one standard glass of wine contains 150 calories. Given that I was drinking one whole bottle (sometimes more) in a day, and a bottle is 7 standard servings, that means that I at least consumed 1050 extra calories a day. That's one extra meal.

So now I am 5"4, and weigh 174 lbs. I have no idea what my BMI is, I suspect too high. I can't fit into just about all of my clothes. Luckily, I work from home, so old stretchy jeans and baggy T-shirts do the trick most days.

Self grooming really has gone out the window. Even bending down to trim my toenails has become a chore.

Last Christmas, I bought myself a dress. It was a few sizes too small. I swore to myself that I would fit into it by July. The first few months of this year, I have cut out bread, rice and pasta, and started to eat far more salads....in the hope that I could keep my beloved wine....

But no more kidding myself.......July and polka-dotted dress....Here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment