Thursday 17 December 2015

Christmas by Stealth....

Christmas is usually a non-event in our house. The absence of children, and also the dysfunction of my husband's family has meant that Christmas Day was just an excuse for me to start drinking earlier and continue longer.

But this year is different.

We have decided to ignore the family feuds. You have decided not to join the "official" family gathering, because my sister-in-law, the hostess, has argued with so many members of the family, that half the family is banned from her house.

So we're having the Elliott Family Charlie Brown Unofficial Christmas.

We're not having turkey. We're having wild salmon barbequed on sticks over an open fire, the traditional native way. We're having seafood chowder, bannock, and mugs of hot chocolate around our campfire.

Yes, under my new gazebo (which will be finished really soon)

Even my stepson, who loathes Christmas, due to too many family arguments over the years has got a little enthusiastic.

I am , by stealth, bringing in decorations, a poinsetta here, some tinsel there.....

My stepdaughter send us a video this morning, of her singing 'I'll be Home for Christmas" at the airport, before she boarded the plane.

It's all coming together. For the first time in years, I am excited. 

And the Universe seems to be conspiring with me.

Today it began to snow.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are gearing up for a wonderful Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely. Sometimes remaking the traditions is what works. I'd love to be having that salmon on Christmas day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love salmon!
    It's nice to be excited about a holiday, something to look forward to!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gazebo is nearly finished.. yay!! Your new Christmas tradition sounds lovely. A x

    ReplyDelete